Friday, September 27, 2013

Sewing for Baby

Over the last few weeks (specifically once the kids went to school), I have been able to coddle my interest in sewing.  I knew a few expectant moms and this was a perfect excuse to hit the sewing machine.  With the help of Pinterest and online tutorials, I was able to create a few baby blankets (I hope the moms liked them!)...


I was so pleased with how they turned out, I was able to use sewing to coddle another  urge of mine...pregnancy induced nesting!  I have really enjoyed the sewing I have done lately for our baby girl!  (Of course now, Penny is a little jealous and has requested that I make her something...She specifically requested a pig pillow, so I guess that takes priority over the burp cloths I was going to do next.)  At any rate, here are a few projects I have completed in preparation for Baby Girl Kirk!
Baby blanket like the ones above...I found the tutorial for this at http://thecraftingchicks.com/2011/08/minky-baby-blanket-simplified.html.  I had all kinds of trouble trying to bind the blankets (I am no quilter) but found an easier way at http://eveninginthegarden.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/blanket-binding-tutorial/.
Changing pad cover...I followed this tutorial: http://prudentbaby.com/2009/12/baby-kid/diy-changing-pad-cover-tutorial-2/.
Changing pad cover #2...I followed the same tutorial as above.  What was really exciting about this one was not only is it my favorite of the two covers, but it was made out of two pieces of remnant fabric I bought for dirt cheap at Hobby Lobby!  I still have fabric left over and I think I spent around $9 total! (That is a steal considering what a store bought cover cost, and considering what minky fabric usually costs.)

No comments: