Thursday, November 11, 2010

A "Typical" Day

I am always blogging about our adventures that occur mostly on the weekends.  It recently occurred to me that the real adventure is our day to day life.  All the little things that happen in between our planned activities and each child’s milestones are what life is made of.  I wanted to chronicle one typical day for us so that when our kids grow up and our lives are different yet again, we can remember just what it was like to live with two young kids…

5:15 a.m.  Wake up with headache but get up and go for a run anyway. (This is my first day back into my running regime, I HAVE to!)  I can’t find the key to the garage door, so I lock myself out, hoping David will be up to let me in when I get back.

5:55 a.m. Return from run…everybody is up, and everybody is cranky.

5:58 a.m. Cool off, start coffee maker; go get Penny out of her crib. David tries to doze sitting up while Cooper watches Thomas the train.   I change Penny’s diaper, then feed her while I watch Thomas with David and Cooper.  We drink coffee!!! Cooper asks for goldfish, but settles for some milk and a banana.

6:30 a.m. I make breakfast, load the dishwasher and start a load of laundry while David works out and gets ready for work, Penny plays on her play mat, and Cooper plays trains on the train table.

7:15 a.m.  I walk into the sunroom where Coop is playing and smell poop.  I sigh as Cooper announces, “I poop.” I opt to ignore this obvious sign that potty training is on the horizon and a quick chase around the train table ensues. 

7:30 a.m. Cooper eats his scrambled egg and exactly one 1-inch square of toast.  I am disappointed by this showing, as he barely ate anything yesterday.  I remind myself that if he is truly starving, he will eat.

7:50 a.m. David leaves for work, and I chase Cooper around the living room since it is time to get dressed for the day.  I notice his shirt is a little short and a candidate for the goodwill pile, but I leave it on him anyway.  I delight in Penny’s delight of being on her changing table.  Plus she looks really cute in her little dress.

8:00 a.m. I leave Penny in her swing and Cooper watching “Super Why” so that I can take a quick shower.  I get out of the shower in time to hear Penny fussing.  I run to the top of the stairs in a towel and hair dripping to make sure it isn’t because Cooper is sitting on her.  He isn’t, and I am thankful that I don’t have to get on to him for that for the 8th time today.  I lay Penny in the middle of my bed, hoping the ceiling fan will be enough distraction for me to throw on some clothes and dry my hair.  It isn’t, and I decide kinky hair is not a huge deal in the scheme of things.

8:45 a.m. Dryer signal goes off, scaring the daylights out of both Cooper and myself.  I don’t generally have that switched on…Coop must have been playing with the knobs again. 

9:15 a.m.  Grandma arrives for a visit!  Hooray!

10:00 a.m. Grandma takes Cooper for a walk and I attempt to get Penny down for a nap.  She goes down easily!  I am grateful I have read the “baby whisperer” book for establishing good sleep habits in babies.

10:10 a.m.  I work on my pile of office “stuff” to do:  Reconcile the checking account, pay some bills, clip some coupons, file, and order more winter clothes for Cooper.  Check email and update blog.  Work on a grocery list and a “to do” list for tomorrow.

10:38 a.m. Penny wakes up and I implement the “shush-pat” method to get her back down.  It works, and I wish the baby whisperer hadn’t passed away, so that I could send her flowers.

11:00 a.m. Grandma and Cooper return from their walk.  Cooper doesn’t want his diaper changed, and his wails of protest wake up Penny.  This time she doesn’t go back down.  We skipped our 10 a.m. snack, so I nurse Penny while Cooper eats chicken nuggets and an orange.  He eats it all…hooray!

12:00 p.m. Grandma plays with Cooper and holds Penny while I finish up my office stuff and start another load of laundry.

12:45 p.m.  Both kids are asleep so I pick up the house and fold laundry.  Penny wakes up a few times and I have to go back in and get her back to sleep.  I resist the urge to throw the baby whisperer book in the trash.

1:45 p.m. I settle in on the couch with a book for some very coveted “me” time. I end up having to take a rain check on “me” time b/c Penny wakes up 20 minutes later, ready to eat.

2:45 p.m. Cooper is still napping and Penny is content in her bouncy seat, so I decide to start assembling the last two chairs to our new dining set whilst watching an old episode of “Friends.”

2:55 p.m. Cooper wakes up grumpy, so we cuddle on the couch for a few minutes, until he gets interested in the half assembled chair in the middle of the living room. 

3:08 p.m. Cooper starts whining that he wants to watch Thomas the Train, so I abandon the chair project, find Cooper’s shoes and off we go to the grocery store. (Yes, I would rather take two small children to HEB during one of the store’s busiest times than watch another episode of the most boring kids’ show currently on television.)

4:07 p.m.  Return from HEB, put up groceries, and change both kids’ diapers and text back and forth with a friend about meeting for lunch tomorrow

4:31 p.m. I abandon the attempt to get Penny to go 3 hours between feeds and nurse her. I am thankful that we have two flank steaks in the fridge that need to be cooked.  David is the official meat cooker in the house, so that means I am off the hook for dinner!   Cooper wanders in and I smell poop.  He announces, “I poop” and I again ignore the signs of potty training readiness.

4:50 p.m. Coop dumps half the toys in his room on the floor, then builds with blocks, Penny falls asleep in the swing (until Cooper stops the swing and wakes her up…GRRR), and I make two salads and Mac and cheese with peas.

4:58 p.m. David comes home.  While he cooks the steaks, we discuss the feasibility of getting Cooper an aquarium with fish for Christmas.  Meanwhile, Cooper sneaks upstairs and gets into my toothpaste. I take the toothpaste away and make him come downstairs.  A fit ensues, and David pours two glasses of wine.  Cooper thumbs his nose at my mac and cheese and peas and only eats a banana for dinner.

6:15 p.m. While I clean the kitchen, David assembles the dining bench, and finishes the chairs I started.  Cooper rips up the packing Styrofoam from the chair boxes. Penny cries to be nursed again.

7:08 p.m. We finally relent, and Cooper gets to watch one DVR-ed episode of Thomas the Train.  David holds Penny and I finish this blog. I try to get Coop interested in doing his “homework” assignment for school the next day…he gives the Thanksgiving feather one little scribble and is done.

8:00 p.m. Both kids get a bath.  Cooper throws a fit when we take away his toothbrush and toothpaste…we are forced to put him to bed without a story. Penny goes down easily..she knows we will see each other again  in the wee hours of the morning.

9:30 p.m.  Both kids are down, so we turn in as well.  I’m satisfied with our day at home, but glad tomorrow is a school day for Cooper and an errands-and-lunch-with-a-friend-day for Penny and me.

No comments: